- A reliable internet connection
- A separate room away from distractions
- Anyone with an interest in learning sound therapy in a professional setting
- Existing Therapists of any kind
- Parents wishing to help their families
- Social workers
- Beauticians, Hairdressers
- Teachers of any kind (including Yoga teachers)
- Times: 10:30a,am to 5:30 pm with 1 hour break for lunch at 1pm-2pm. (Zoom is open from 10:15am for sound check)
Our Level 1 Foundation Module of The Diploma of Advanced Therapeutic Sound Medicine (Sound Therapy) – is delivered in Class at our training centre in Cork City. Zoom can be arranged on different dates by request. If choosing the Zoom option I will guide you through each lesson in your Distance eLearning course module, giving further details explanations, demonstrating techniques to you and answering any questions you might have.
If you wish to join the training in-class please phone me on 085 831 3437 to make sure there is a place.
If you are studying in person, you will receive a printed version of this eLearning course as your workshop manual. Your workshop manual is represented by this eLearning online course. If you are studying on Zoom you will receive the printed manual after completing the 2 days on Zoom along with your Level 1 Certificate of Completion at the conclusion of the class.
Once you have enrolled, you will find the Zoom Link in your first lesson “Zoom Login” in your online eLearning course material. You can either copy and paste the Zoom link into your internet browser, or you can start Zoom manually by logging in and join the session with the session ID and passcode provided to you within the Lesson 1 Overview.
Your Level 1 studies recommends the following equipment:
- 1 x Peter Hess therapy bowl “Universal Bowl”, or equivalent size* (see note)
- 1 x Felt mallet (Grey).
- Therapy table (Optional) For those who wish to work in the field of sound medicine. Therapy tables with aluminium legs are 2kgs lighter and highly recommended for this reason. Locally made are best quality, but you will find the best prices are on Amazon. Note – the difference in price is in the quality and thickness of the foam.
This is to conduct and practice your single bowl chakra balance treatment during class. If you wish to sing the bowl for meditation you may also purchase a wooden striker – choose the striker with the suede covering on one end.
If your funds don’t permit the purchase of the recommended “Peter Hess” universal bowl, a standard bowl of similar size will be suitable for study purposes, meditation and group sound therapy. (But will not be suitable for clinical practice)
If you don’t wish to purchase a therapy table at this time, you can substitute yoga mat, mattress and conduct treatments on the floor, observing correct posture and comfort for yourself all times.
Study Buddy Requirements
For your best learning experience with our blended delivery, you should do your best to have a 2nd person as a study buddy with you on the Zoom so you can work together at least for the clinical treatment aspects of the training.
- Option 1: Your study buddy can either be a friend or family member who wishes to enrol in the Level 1 training at the same time as you.
- Option 2: If you don’t know anyone who wishes to do the training so you can pair up as study buddies, at your request we may be able to connect you with suitable person who is already enrolled in the course.
- Option 3: Rather than a study buddy with you for the full 2 days, you may prefer to work with a friend or family member who will agree to be on standby in the room with you for the last 2 hours of the first day, and the first 2 hours of the 2nd day. This is when you need a real person to conduct your clinical practice on. Of course you can choose to have your standby study buddy with you for longer than 2 hours if you wish.
- Option 4: If you don’t have a study buddy and you are unable to find a volunteer for at least 2 hours per day, another option is how we work teaching in class when there is an odd number of people in the class, is to make a dummy study buddy from rolled up blankets, covered with a cover blanket to simulate a person lying on the therapy table for which you conduct your practice treatments on. This option should only be used if it’s your best solution on the day because you have no other options available, use your best judgement and choose which solution works best for you.
Anatomy & Physiology
Practitioner insurance companies do not demand a separate qualification in Anatomony & Physiology for Practitioners of Sound Therapy. The reason given by insurance companies for this is that Sound Therapy is not considered to be a hands-on therapy. Despite this, it is important that you have a knowledge and understanding of the concepts given in Section 2 – Anatomy & Physiology for Therapeutic Sound Medicine.
If you wish to obtain a more details understanding on Anatomy & Physiology there is a free Anatomy & Physiology course available on www.Alison.com